PEAS “A LA FRANCAISE”
with Bacon and Carrots
This complete meal was a must of my student life. Quick, easy, cheap and nutritious. This is now part of my emergency meal plan for days when life takes over. I love preparing this pea and carrot recipe all year round. It is a very tasty and surprisingly very easy recipe. It cooks in about twenty minutes with only 5 minutes prep’.
I often prepare some, even on a weeknight because it requires a few ingredients that I always have handy: frozen peas, carrots, one onion and some bacon from the local farm.
Prep time: 5 min / cooking time: 20 min
- 600 g frozen peas
- 75 g of bacon from the local farm
- 2 to 3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 3 lettuce leaves, optional
- Salt & pepper
- Heat a sauté pan (or small cast-iron casserole dish) over medium heat. Add the bacon and brown for 1 minute.
- Add the peeled and minced onion, as well as the peeled and sliced carrots. Mix and continue cooking for 4 minutes over medium heat.
- Add peas with a glass of water, mix and put the lid on.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- At the end of cooking, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper
- Serve hot or warm. Enjoy! and let me know how you go.
Serve the peas as a main or as a side dish with some roasted chicken or turkey breast. You can also add an egg and cook them as galettes.
Batch-Cooking tip: you can cook this recipe in advance, it keeps easily for 3 to 4 days in the fridge. If you have any leftovers, add them to the filling of a quiche to make a pea and bacon quiche, it’s delicious. You can also freeze some for later.